1. Why does brain injury happen? What are the symptoms?
The reasons of brain injury may be
classified as traumatic and non-traumatic injuries.
Traumatic Brain injuries:
- Physical damages caused by falling,
- Traffic and occupational accidents,
- Gunshot injuries
- Assault cause traumatic brain injury.
Non-Traumatic Brain Injuries:
- Damages caused by brain tumour,
- Infection of cerebral cortex or white matter (meningitis or encephalitis),
- Poisoning from stove gas, other gases or lead,
- Asphyxiation of brain because of cardiac arrest (hypoxic, anoxic ischemic brain damage),
- Degenerative neurological diseases like Alzheimer, Parkinson, and Huntington may cause brain injury.
Situations like potential loss of strength in arms and legs because of brain injury are the symptoms which can be detected at the first glance. On the other hand, brain injury also causes some mental, emotional and behavioural symptoms and this situation may be difficult to be understood by the patients and people around them.
2. Can Brain Injury be treated?
Yes, while the deaths caused by traumatic brain injury have been diminished with the advancement of surgical and emergency support methods, the cognitive and physical function losses caused by brain injury can be treated with the methods of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, Robotic Rehabilitation and Neuro-Rehabilitation.
3. How is the rehabilitation of brain injury?
The patients are taken into a comprehensive physical therapy and rehabilitation program at physical therapy and rehabilitation clinics, especially at the centres of Neurorehabilitation and Robotic physical therapy. Starting the process of physical therapy and rehabilitation at the early period is one of the most significant factors in re-gaining the abilities of;
- Using hand and arm
- Social abilities.
Brain injury causes different problems for each patient and there is no common standard program to be applied on everyone. In the treatment of brain injury, it is aimed to make the persons reach their personal independence and return to social life.
The patients with brain injury should be taken into treatment at specialized rehabilitation services as soon as possible. The rehabilitation applications start when the one is ready. In order to benefit from the rehabilitation, the patients:
- Should have a stable medical situation (they should elude the life threatening risk)
- Should have a learning capacity
- Should participate into the rehabilitation applications,
- And should tolerate the treatment process sufficiently.
A rehabilitation program with certain intervals can be applied on the brain injury patients with retarded healing. In this program, the patient is taken into a comprehensive inpatient physical therapy at hospital with certain intervals and then can be sent home for the remained time. The aim of this approach is to apply an intense rehabilitation for the patients within the periods when they participate actively.
It is important to prepare the rehabilitation room to help the healing of the patient. The hygiene and privacy of the room should be ensured. The patients must stay at a single room if possible. A quite environment should be ensured to enable the patient rest between the therapy sessions.
Istanbul Rehabilitation Academy Brain Injury Treatment
At our center, the treatment of brain injury is executed via our comprehensive inpatient physical therapy program.
Submit your questions
we will contact you as soon as possible.